The following questions were sent via e-mail on February 28, 1999, to the Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. The responses were provided by Robert E. Bailey, Supervisor, OPS Enforcement & Field Operations Section.
- What is the name and address of Virginia’s pest inspection/pest control licensing and regulating agency?
The Virginia Pesticide Control Board has stewardship over the pesticide industry in Virginia, and the Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (VDACS) Office of Pesticide Services (OPS) provides administrative and field support to this board. OPS certifies pesticide applicators, licenses pesticide businesses, registers pesticide products, monitors pesticide activities in the field, and addresses pesticide-related complaints.
Commonwealth of Virginia
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Division of Consumer Protection
Office of Pesticide Services
P.O. Box 1163
Richmond, VA 23218800-552-9963
- How many years does Virginia’s licensing and regulating agency maintain records of complaints against pest control/pest inspection companies?
OPS maintains records of pesticide-related complaints for five years. Paper files are kept in the office for three years, then held in off-site storage for two years before discarding.
- How many Terminix branches are currently operating in Virginia? (My records, taken from the Yellow Pages on the Internet, indicate there are currently 37 Terminix, aka Terminix Engineers, aka Terminix International, aka Terminix Service, aka Terminix Seva, aka Terminix Termite & Pest Control branches operating in Virginia.)
In our computer data base files of licensed businesses, there are records for 19 Terminix businesses licensed to do business in Virginia. There were 38 firms in the recent past, however 19 have recently gone out of business.
- Does each Terminix branch in Virginia operate under a separate license or do all the Terminix branches operate under one license?
Each separate business location in Virginia must have a separate pesticide business license.
- How many complaints, if any, have been filed in Virginia against Terminix International (and its aka’s); including the nature of the complaints, name and location of Terminix branch involved; and disposition of complaints (dismissed, settled, fine, suspended or revoked license, probation, etc.)?
Due to limitations in our enforcement data base system (which is currently under development), I am unable to provide you with the number of complaints that we have received involving Terminix companies. Since our paper records are filed by the complainant’s name, not by the name of the company involved, a search of the archived paper records would not provide the information you requested.
However, I am able to provide you with printed records, from our enforcement data base, of regulatory actions taken against Terminix companies in Virginia from 1994 to the present.