Constructed in 1855, this Gothic Revival residence was one of the first brick structures built in Marysville. Home to the Aaron family from 1874 to 1935, it is now held in trust as a museum for the City of Marysville and Yuba County. Photographs, costumes, furnishings and other artifacts document the lives of local residents in changing exhibits. Of special interest is an exhibit that focuses on the lives and traditions of the Chinese community of early Marysville.
OpenThursday, Friday & Saturday 1 pm to 4 pm and by appointment. Admission is free.
704 D Street, Marysville ...
In 1854, five years after the first contingent of Chinese arrived in California to work in the gold mines, a temple to house and worship their gods was erected. Foremost among these was the god of water, Bok Eye, who possessed the powers to control the rains.
The original temple was destroyed by fire. Its replacement, built in 1880, remains the focus of the present Marysville Chinese community, and is the only one of its kind in the United States. Marysville celebrates the Chinese New Year and Bok Eye with the annual
Tours by special appointment . Contact the Chamber of Commerce
Located at the corner of D Street and First Street in Marysville
See also: Bok Kai
Ask a vistor to Marysville what he remembers about the city and most likely heıll answer; Ellis Lake. The lake is most certainly Marysvilleıs most memorable centerpiece. But i t hasnıt always been so.It was an unsightly swamp untill in 1924 when the Womenıs Improvment Club of Marysville commissioned Robbie McLKaren to turn the swamp into a beautiful lake. McLaren may be best known as the designer of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. WPA funds were used to complete the project in 1939.
Today Ellis Lake... named for a prominent Marysville citizen W.T. Ellis, Jr.... offers a pleasant walk, picnic areas, fishing and pedal boats. The lake is also the site of the cities 4th of July celebration and fireworks show. In recent years it has also hosted power poat races.
Location: bounded by 9th Street to the South, by B Street to the East, by 14th Street to the North and by D Street to the West.
Going south from the 700 block of D Street, visitors will find a delightful blend of architectural styles. Within a few blocks, Gothic Victorian, Queen Anne, Greek Revival, Edwardian, Italianate, and Eastlake influences are in evidence. Further on remain a few of the original brick business buildings of early Marysville, including the Marysville Water Company (1857-58) with its third floor water tank still present. At the foot of D Street is the Bok Kai Temple and to the east, on First Street, is the remaining China Town. A self-guided walking tour is available at the Mary Aaron Museum.
A privately-owned museum established in 1985, the Museum of the Forgotten Warriors pays homage to the men and women who served in the Vietnam War. The museum is arranged in two parts, with United States and South Vietnamese objects on one side, and objects from Viet Cong on the other. Exhibits tell the story of the war from a soldierıs perspective using patches, weapons, uniforms, photographs and letters.
Open first Saturday of each month, Veterans Day & Memorial Day 10am to 4pm. Admission is free.
5865 A Road, Linda ...
The Forbestown area first attracted worldwide attention when gold was discovered in California. Mining soon gave way to ranches and sawmills. Today logging is the major industry in the district. Exhibits reflect this varied heritage.
Located in an old school house, the Museum's exhibits change from year to year concentrating on different aspects of history as diverse as the life of a pioneer child and the basketry of the Maidu Indians. Outside there are exhibits of mining and logging equipment as well as a country store and a blacksmith shop.
Open Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays 12pm to 4pm Memorial Day to Labor Day. Admission is free.
19096 New York Flat Road, Forbestown ...
Established in 1942, Camp Beale served as a training center for the 13th Armored Division, the 81st and 96th Infantry Divisions, as well as a replacement depot for units overseas. During World War II it also housed a German prisoner of war encampment. At the height of wartime activity, Beale's on base population reached 60,000.
The Museum displays objects from the 13th Armored Division, the 100th Bomb Group and the 9th Bomb Group.
Beale Air Force Base ... 634-3000